LEGISLATIVE PRIORITIES 2017
Safeguarding and improving the quality of life of retired school personnel
Any changes made to the current VRS retirement plans should be carefully studied to minimize their impact on the unfunded liability.
Supporting and improving public education
- Support continuing local school boards’ authority over the formation and operation of charter schools within the school division.
- Protect the Standards of Quality and fully fund state mandates through the SOQ formula.
- Fund salaries at a level which ensures teaching as a viable career choice and is consistent with the goal of reaching the national average salary.
- Expand recruitment and retention programs for teachers.
- Respect local school boards’ authority by returning to them the right to establish their own school calendars.
- Protect per pupil funding by opposing vouchers and the expansion of tuition tax credit programs.
- Pass a joint resolution addressing the long term negative consequences of suspensions and expulsions on students in the public schools of Virginia, commonly known as the school-to-prison pipeline.
OTHER USEFUL LINKS:
Who’s My Legislator? – http://whosmy.virginiageneralassembly.gov/
2017 Senate of Virginia Contact List – http://apps.lis.virginia.gov/sfb1/Senate/TelephoneList.aspx
2017 Virginia House of Delegates Contact List – http://virginiageneralassembly.gov/house/members/members.php
Summary of Bills of Interest in the General Assembly 2017 Session – http://vrta.org/data/bills_of_interest.pdf