LEGISLATIVE PRIORITIES 2018
Safeguarding and improving the quality of life of retired school personnel
- Any changes made to the current VRS retirement plans should be carefully studied to minimize their impact on the unfunded liability.
- Provide the health insurance credit for all retired school support personnel.
Supporting and improving public education
- Protect the Standards of Quality and fully fund state mandates through the SOQ formula.
- Fund salaries at a level that ensures teaching as a viable career choice and will reach the national average.
- Expand recruitment and retention of teachers.
- Respect school boards’ authority by allowing them to establish their own school calendars.
- Support continuing local school boards’ authority over the formation and operation of charter schools within the school division.
- Protect per pupil funding by opposing vouchers and the expansion of tuition tax credit programs.
- Pass a joint resolution addressing the long-term negative consequences of suspensions and expulsions on students in our public schools, known as the school –to-prison pipeline.
OTHER USEFUL LINKS:
Who’s My Legislator? – http://whosmy.virginiageneralassembly.gov/
2018 Senate of Virginia Contact List – http://apps.lis.virginia.gov/sfb1/Senate/TelephoneList.aspx
2018 Virginia House of Delegates Contact List – http://virginiageneralassembly.gov/house/members/members.php